Fitness trainer, lifestyle coach and consultant to the Haybarn Spa at Daylesford, James Golden - AKA ‘The Fitness Pro’ is noted to be one of the go to fitness experts in the health and fitness industry. With over 15 years in health and fitness, James uses an approach to training which is fun but ultimately results based. His areas of specialism are in weight management and performance training. Here he shares his thoughts on how home workouts compere to gyms.
"I have recently been asked more times about training at home over the past few weeks due to the current Corona virus lockdown than any other time during my 20 years in fitness. My experience in the world of fitness has seen me lock horns with the most common excuse of 'not having enough time' and 'how do you allocate enough time' to work out.
"Gyms can be quite intimidating places to go to for many of us so I have always challenged people on why they go, especially if they don’t like going. OK, so here is the question; 'Do we need to go to the gym to keep fit and healthy?"
Here James shares are 5 simple reasons on the home workout vs gym, why you may change your approach post lockdown.
GYMS VS. HOME WORKOUTS
1. It can save you a lot of time One of the most frequent reasons why people do not exercise is because it takes up a lot of time. If you are someone who does not have a gym five minutes away from home, then you can lose a lot of time to travel, parking and getting changed. With so many of us already experiencing busy lives, the last thing we need is losing time to further travel commitments. To save you time, the best choice can be is to create to a at-home workout routine. The bottom line is, you can move your body from the comfort of your own home.
2. It can save on the finances
The second reason why working out at home can be more beneficial is because gym memberships are generally quite expensive. Obviously, most gyms are equipped to service all training requirements, but we can still achieve what a gym can offer with a few dumbbells, kettlebells, yoga mat and resistance bands. By purchasing affordable home workout kit you can store will allow you to have more money left in your wallet to spend on other important things. The TRX has been one of the finest innovations in recent times and is great value purchase which allows you to turn your body into machine.
3. You don’t need to be glam So many of us stress out when it comes to looking good at the gym. This is especially the case when the gym is popular and frequently overcrowded. Of course, all of us want to look our best and try to impress that handsome buff guy or girl waiting in line for the weights but stressing over appearance can be overwhelming sometimes. One of the top reasons why working out at home is great is because you can be you. Not only that, but you do not even need to brush your hair or put on pants to have a successful workout. So, let go of the fear of being judged and grab a pair of dumbbells!
4. Abs are made in the kitchen Most people, especially those individuals who are new to the fitness lifestyle consider the gym the holy grail when it comes to losing weight and changing shape. Wrong! The truth is that the gym or working out, in general, contributes only 20% to achieving your objectives through exercise. The most important thing people should focus on more is making sure that nutrition is on point. It is not uncommon to think that you can eat whatever you want and go to the gym without putting on a couple of extra layers of fat. So, try to focus on your food consumption and the rest will follow. Of course, working out and healthy nutrition goes hand in hand, nail them both and you have are winning. Working out at home will have you closer to the kitchen and the all-important recovery fuel.
5. You can listen to whatever you want It has always been challenging for gyms to service everyone’s music taste so at least at home you can create your own inspiring setting. Listening to music you hate can easily put you in a bad mood and ruin your whole workout. In addition to that, you have no other people to interfere with your workout and invade your space. Do it how you want.
All in all, working out at home has a lot of benefits that people maybe unaware of. Most importantly, make sure you do what feels right for you and the fitness results will come. Stay consistent!